Monday, May 04, 2009

Penny's Diner in Missouri Valley

At breakfast Saturday morning Al, Chuck, Randy and I decided to ride down to Missouri Valley the back way though the Loess Hills, to try out the Penny's Dinner for a shake. We met up at the HyVee on Gordon Drive in Sioux City about 10:30.

I lead the way down to Pisgah where we took a short break at the Lounge/Deli. From Pisgah, Chuck lead us a different way to Missouri Valley via Modamin and Modale with a really cool local loop with lots of hills and curves around Missouri Valley (I think its Epperson Hollow Road and Longview Road in Google Maps). Our route in google maps. All of the roads ridden down were paved.

We passed a cool little hole-in-the wall place in Modale which looked really busy, I want to try it sometime too. It was called Sour Mash Inc.

The food at Peggy's was good. The malt was made in a old-style metal malt machines just like the ones we used at the Dairy Dandy in Sheldon, where I worked in Jr. and Sr. High (a long time ago). The difference was that Peggy's used real hard ice cream. I also had a Buffalo BBQ sandwich which as quite tasty.

After lunch Chuck, Randy and I road some of the back gravel and dirt roads back around Pisgah. My bike "Pig" road like a champ in this. Chuck switched off for hard surface near Moorehead, and Randy and I wormed our way around to the Larpenteur Road and then followed the west side of the Loess Bluffs up to Turin. From Turin we took a short gravel road along the east side of the bluffs up to near Castana. I also got to show Randy D-54 north of Smithland.

No comments: