Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Branson Blitz - Monday, Day 0.5

Finished my chores at home and got packed.  Left for Eagle Rock late in the day, wanted to make it past KC to avoid morning traffic.  It got dark about St. Jo, I was tired and there were a lot of trucks on I-29 which was wearing me out (had a short night of sleep the night before).   So, I decided if I could get a decent room at St. Jo on Priceline using my Droid I would stop for the night.  I really wanted to stop.


I got a room at the Super 8, which I thought was near the main exit... first mistake.  Super 8 had moved south of town near a giant truck stop.  GPS was wrong and first listing on my Droid said no longer open.  So after spending 45 minutes traversing the highway it was on, north to south, I found what I thought was the Super 8 south of town next to a giant truck stop.  


Priceline had grievously given this hotel 2 stars, but it was the absolutely worst hotel I have ever stayed at.  I initially even thought of leaving and just washing my hands of my $59.95 plus tax, and everyone knows how "thrifty" I can be with my money regarding hotels.   The staff refused to give me a better room, saying something about how I booked the room over the Internet.


The room absolutely reeked of cigarette tar and the screen was missing on the window.  I didn't want someone climbing in through the window, so I had to close the window while I slept.  Even with the windows closed, I had to have the TV turned up pretty darned loud to cover of the noise of a truck pulling in or out of the truck stop next door every 4 to 10 seconds.   There is dirt and grease on the light switches, burns all over the tub and sink, bulbs missing, etc.  The drain on the sink doesn't work, unless your reach underneath the counter and throttle it near the U pipe.


All and all, I wished I had just walked into the Motel 6 and got the $35 room there, I'm sure it could not have been worse then this.  Going to have to check Yelp or something next time before booking a buy-it-now room on Priceline.  


I hope the disgusting marks on the tub are cigarette burns...I really hope.
Super 8 in St. Jo sucks, dirty switches, stinky rooms and  broken locks.
I did get to have supper at the Waffle House last night.  That was cool.  No longer a Waffle House virgin.  I get it too, its an old fashioned, no-frills hash house which puts out OK food at pretty reasonable prices, cool!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, better luck with the next one. eesh.