Friday, April 13, 2012

Getting Ready for Branson Blitz

I'm getting ready for Voni Glave's IBMWR Branson Blitz.  The BMW MOA mileage contest also starts tomorrow and the GLMC Grand Tour started April 1st.  This is going to be a fun and productive ride to Branson and Arkansas.  My new rear tire came today, just in time.  So everything is clicking along well except one thing...

My friend Randy is still in the hospital in Sioux Falls recovering from heart surgery a little over 3 weeks ago.  Randy has had some good days and some bad days since his surgery.  The last few days have not been good ones for him - he is in a lot of pain, getting anxious about getting better, and he wants to go home.

Randy and I started our annual trek to Arkansas each April a few years ago.  We have both gone every year and it has always been an adventure.  We stay with my parents near Eureka Springs and the visit has kind of become become special to them as well.  They ask me over and over during the weeks leading up to the trip if Randy is coming, who else is coming, and when are we going to get there.  My Dad then sends me maps and brochures of places to go and see.  Arkansas is one of the prettiest and most motorcycle friendly places in this country in April. 

While visiting, we have breakfast with my folks every morning.  After breakfast we spend the day riding our bikes while the folks keep up their busy regular schedules, they are constantly busy with something.  At the end of the day, we rush back to their house hopefully in time to take everyone to a nice dinner.  The whole trip is a lot of fun for everyone.

We are all going to miss Randy this year.  He is a character, a entertaining rider who rides seriously, one of my closest riding friends, and simply a lot of fun to hang out with.  I'm try to post more trip photos real-time this year with my phone so hopefully Randy and others can follow along.  I also have some draft blog entries about adventures with Randy and Dave which I haven't published yet, I'll try to get those done soon too.


Get better Randy - I'm really going to miss having you along!!


PS - Loyd and Eric have committed to coming down Thursday.

No comments: